Ankit had allegedly reprimanded passengers in his cab for using casteist slurs against his officer. After the argument escalated, he stopped the cab near Telibagh Market and made all four of them get off. Following a complaint from passengers, his account was suspended for life.
Lucknow – Ankit Kumar, a Dalit cab driver who was suspended from Rapido for nearly 100 years after protesting against caste-based insults in Lucknow, the capital of Uttar Pradesh, has now been reinstated by the company. Ankit released a video announcing this. Previously, his Rapido account showed a suspension of 99 years and 11 months, which was stated to last until July 19, 2026.
This matter sparked a sharp reaction on social media. People associated with the Bahujan community and civil society organizations questioned Rapido’s action, and the #BoycottRapido campaign also trended on social media. Following this, reports emerged of increased pressure on the company’s decision.
In this entire controversy, BSP National Coordinator Akash Anand also strongly supported Ankit. He questioned companies like Rapido, saying that they exhibit the same mentality that the Bahujan Samaj has long struggled against.
The dispute began in the Telibagh area of Lucknow. 30-year-old Ankit Kumar had picked up four passengers from Uttarhatiya Railway Station and was headed to Charbagh Railway Station. According to Ankit, the four passengers were Indian Railways employees and were discussing a senior officer during the journey.
Ankit alleges that the conversation gradually escalated into caste-based remarks, and the passengers began using derogatory and casteist slurs, linking the officer’s abilities to his caste. Ankit said that initially he did not intervene, but when the alleged caste-based remarks continued, he objected.
Ankit reportedly told the passengers that if they questioned someone’s abilities, they should speak by name, and why was an entire caste being insulted. When the passengers allegedly refused to change their language, Ankit stopped the vehicle near Telibagh Market and asked the four to disembark.
After disembarking, an argument broke out between Ankit and the passengers. People gathered at the scene. Ankit alleges that he was verbally abused. A video of the incident went viral on social media.
What happened after the video went viral?
After the video went viral, Ankit alleged that he began receiving abusive and threatening messages on social media. He said people were questioning why he dropped passengers off the vehicle.
Meanwhile, following complaints from passengers, Rapido took action on Ankit’s driver account. The screenshot Ankit shared showed his account suspended for 99 years and 11 months, with the last date being July 19, 2026. The reason cited by the company was “abusive/double-meaning/use of abusive language.”
Ankit claimed that the company didn’t even attempt to hear his side of the story before taking action. He said they should have at least asked him what happened.
Ankit holds a diploma in mechanical engineering. He couldn’t find a government job commensurate with his qualifications, so he drives a cab to support his family. His father is a daily wage laborer and his mother is a homemaker. Therefore, a nearly 100-year suspension was like permanently closing his employment opportunities.
For this reason, this case not only raised the issue of caste discrimination, but also sparked debate about the livelihoods of gig workers and the accountability of app-based companies.
Legal experts have highlighted two distinct aspects of this matter. On the one hand, under the platform’s terms of service, the company has the right to take action against its driver upon any complaint. On the other hand, a suspension of nearly 100 years is extremely harsh and practically amounts to a permanent ban.
Legal experts also questioned whether the driver’s side should have been heard before taking such drastic action. Unilateral action taken without notice or an opportunity for explanation could raise questions regarding the principles of natural justice.
What did Akash Anand say?
BSP National Coordinator Akash Anand gave a detailed response to this matter on August 17. He said that Ankit’s viral video raises serious questions about India’s social system. According to him, Ankit had only protested against the alleged casteist comments to protect his and his community’s dignity, but Rapido instead suspended his account for 99 years and 11 months. Akash Anand said: “Companies like Rapido suffer from the same mentality that we have been fighting to eradicate for a century.”
Aakash Anand also said that Ankit’s suspension was tantamount to snatching away the livelihood of a person who stood up for his honor and the dignity of his community. He also linked this incident to the broader debate on reservation and social change.
He stated that even nearly eight decades after independence, casteist mentality remains deeply rooted in society. According to him, reservation is not only a means of economic empowerment but also a means of social change.
Aakash Anand also referred to RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat’s views on reservation and asked him to answer the questions of millions of Dalits like Ankit. He quoted Mayawati as saying that respect for the Constitution and the ideas of Babasaheb Dr. Bhimrao Ambedkar.
Geetha Sunil Pillai
Courtesy: Hindi News