Prosecutor in Una Dalit case quits
Gujarat’s watershed atrocity case falters Dipendra Yadav seeks withdrawal after state govt fails to provide him security, transport or remuneration Special Public Prosecutor in the Una atrocity case has sought withdrawal from the Una Dalit atrocity case, three years after alleged gau rakhshaks thrashed six members of a Dalit family and their neighbour.
“Our worst fears have come true, just when the day-to-day trial in our case was about to begin,” rued Vasram Sarvaiya, one of the seven victims of the Una Dalit incident who had earlier hoped of the case being expedited this month. He has now pinned his hope on the judiciary after Special Public Prosecutor Dipendra Yadav submitted an application to the government seeking his withdrawal from the case.
Mirror had reported on October 16, 2018, of Dipendra Yadav had threatened to quit as special public prosecutor in the case due to lack of security. This was just three months after six members of a Dalit family and their neighbour were thrashed by alleged gau rakshaks on July 11, 2016 and the four youth were dragged half-naked to the police station behind an SUV. At that time, MoS Home Pradeepsinh Jadeja had assured that he would act upon the matter urgently. However, the nothing seems to have changed on the ground.
Earlier this month, on July 1, the Veraval Special Atrocity Court had ordered day-to-day trial of the case for 90 days, beginning July 31, in spite of protests from prosecutor Yadav.
Fed up with the government failing to provide him with security, transport or even remuneration, Yadav wrote to the government on July 12 seeking withdrawal from the case. On the same day, he presented the same in the court as well.
Now, the hopes of the victims’ families lie with the judiciary and the department of law as the court is set to take a decision in the matter on July 26.
Advocate Govind Parmar, who represents the victims, told Mirror, “We were hoping the case would be expedited at least three years after the incident, but now this application has again brought up the possibility of everything going on hold, putting the victims farther away from justice.”
Dipendra Yadav said, “Yes, I have written to the legal department that I want to be relieved from the case. I also submitted the same to the special atrocity court. I will be attending the July 26 hearing to see what decision has been taken.”
Meanwhile, sources said Gir-Somnath SP Rahul Tripathi had met Yadav to assure him that security would be provided to him. However, there has been no response from the Department of Law regarding the prosecutor’s remuneration.
Courtesy : Ahmedabad Mirror