Tension trigerred by dalit youth’s death gets defused

12th January 2017 03:35 AM

satishVILLUPURAM ; Four days of casteist tension between two villages following the death of Dalit youth Sathish finally defused on Wednesday after his family members accepted the body from the hospital and performed the last rites at Periyababusamuthiram.

Hundreds of villagers and VCK cadre attended the funeral.
However, speaking to Express, VCK functionary Surendar said, “The family is not satisfied with the post-mortem report and police inquiry. They have sought our party’s support. We have decided to organise an all party meeting at the earliest to take a call on the matter.”

Sathish (23), son of Lakshmi (48), a widow of Periyababusamuthiram village near Kandamangalam, died on Friday night at JIPMER after battling burns for three days.

On Thursday night, Sathish had gone to attend nature’s call, but allegedly returned engulfed in flames. He landed at his friend Viji’s doorstep, who doused the flames and rushed him to a private medical college hospital in Ariyur.

Sathish’s family members have initially told the doctors that he sustained the burns after coming into contact with a live wire atop an electricity post. The doctors referred him to a government hospital in Puducherry, as he had sustained over 70 per cent burns.

Based on the family’s statement and acknowledgement of the victim, police registered a case under section 309 of IPC. Meanwhile, he was referred to JIPMER, where he succumbed to burns late on Friday night.
However, the case took an intriguing turn when the family alleged that Sathish was set on fire by two caste Hindu men from neighbouring Rajaputhirapalayam. It was claimed that he was thrashed and set him on fire.

Later, alleging that the Kandamangalam police was biased in proceeding with the investigations, Sathish’s relatives and villagers staged a protest and even refused to send the body for an autopsy for three days. VCK cadre too extended their support to the protest.

On Sunday, Superintendent of Police K S Narenthiran Nayar directed the case be handed over to Villupuram district crime branch under the supervision of DSP Gomathi Vijayakumar. Based on her assurances of an impartial inquiry, family members of Sathish relented and gave their nod for the post-mortem.

However, on Monday, after the post-mortem report by JIPMER doctors stated that there was 95 percent likelihood of the youth being electrocuted, the family refused to accept the findings

The logjam ended on Wednesday afternoon when the family members finally gave in and accepted Sathish’s body.

Courtesy-Indian Express


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



Check Also

Slain Inspector gave land free for primary school

If the children of Saalaipudhur are able to get primary education in ...